Friday 21 November 2014

Airlie Beach 9 November to 20 November

The flight and transfer up the Airlie was easy and pain free despite having to juggle my luggage for the flight as I was a tiny bit over when checking in 2 bags. The hostel was pretty basic but had nice staff and clean rooms. I had a quick swim in the pool then headed into town in the late afternoon for an explore. The town has grown massively in the last ten years so it's almost unrecognisable. Lots of fast food places including Dominos for $5 pizzas and high street shops like Jay Jays and cotton on.  I grabbed a salad and schooner of cider for $15 for dinner then headed back to the hostel for an early night. 

Monday and Tuesday were spent by the lagoon in town working on my tan after $3 breakfasts at the hostel and diners of salad and cider in town. On Tuesday I met an English girl in one of the bars and went to a club with her for a few hours but left by 12 as I felt incredibly old compared to everyone else in there.

On Wednesday I went out for the day on one of the Ocean Rafting trips. We had two snorkel stops in the morning before heading to tongue bay on Whitsunday island and Whitehaven beach for lunch and a chill out. Was really good fun, I paid extra for a 'media pack' so got lots of pictures from the Go Pro (inspiring me I buy my own later in the week). 
In the evening I felt it was time to be sociable so joined in the evening quiz at the hostel. I was paired up with two Irish girls and we did pretty well. Spent the evening chatting with them and an English couple who were sat at our table.

Thursday I went out for breakfast and had the most amazing pancakes at the cafe where I needed to collect my media pack from the day before. I spent the day at the lagoon and had a salad at about 4 ( this would later be the cause of a v drunk night as salad is not a good stomach liner). Met up with Emma and Rosin (the Irish girls) at the hostel in the evening, they had been on ocean rafting that day and had loved it. We did the quiz along with a girl from London called Lucy and got full marks so won the bottle of 'champagne'. I then proceeded to drink almost 2 bottles of wine so didn't even make it out to meet up with becky and jake (the English couple). Had a terrible night with lots of throwing up and generally feeling shit.

Thursday I eventually to up at 10, I just about managed a bacon and avocado sandwich. I bought myself a go pro and booked  myself onto a 2 night sailing trip for the following week. I found some shade at the lagoon and in a hungover funk sorted out a room in a motel for a few nights for the following week and flights an accommodation for magnetic island. Ran into Emma and Rosin who were having a BBQ with Emma, jake, Lucy and a Dutch couple whose names I never got. They invited me to join them and I found out that everyone who had made it out felt as rough as me. Homemade burgers and chicken kebabs made me feel a lot better. Spent the rest of the afternoon at the lagoon before heading back to the hostel for a v sober quiz and an early night.

On sat most people left which was sad as I'd made a nice little group for myself. Becky and I went to the market in town where she bought some jewellery and I got some gifts for home and massive breakfast of tacos. I spent the afternoon at the lagoon and joined a few people in the evening (including the worlds most boring Canadian) for the quiz. No winning but at least I was sociable.

Sunday I moved down to a motel for 2 nights and having my own bathroom was an utter delight, I also had a chance to totally unpack and have a sort of my gear. I binned off some shape wear pants as it's just too hot for them and a pair of sandals that had a broken strap. Spent the next two days at the lagoon and relishing a double bed and ensuite.

On Tuesday I headed for Abel Point Marina and my 2 night boat trip. Was a v mixed group- an older Spanish couple, an older Swiss couple, a young ish British couple who had moved to aus this year and her patents plus me and another British girl a few years older than me. We were show our cabins- me and Katie the English girl in basically a cupboard with bunk beds then almost immediately left the harbour and put the sails up. Felt a bit sea sick for an hour or so until I had got my sea legs. We moored up at about 7, had dinner then an early night as breakfast was at 6am the next day. After a shower i sat out for a bit to admire the stars. Wednesday was an early start so we could set off to a secluded bay for some paddle boarding, I did ok didn't manage to stand up due to my awful balance but paddle from the beach to the boat. We then headed to tounge bay for a few hours at Whitehaven beach which was full of massive massive rays. Had lunch on the boat then found our first snorkel stop of the trip, lots of lovely fishes but sadly no turtles. We sailed into the sunset for a quite bay to moor for the evening. Thursday was a slightly later start- only 7am for breakfast before moving about 500m to our next snorkel stop. Lots an lots of turtles this time and some huge fishes. We had lunch as we sailed back to airlie for 2pm.

I spent the afternoon at the lagoon after having had a refreshing shower at the motel. Met up with Katie for dinner and some drinks before going back to my motel for a massive repack and sort (including abandoning my faithful straw hat that had lost all show and was pretty grim on the inside from sweat). 


No comments:

Post a Comment